The 12th running of Maryland Junior Hunt Cup will be held at Shawan Downs on April 28, 2013. This event was started to encourage young equestrians to take part in horse racing. The day includes pony flat races, junior field master chases, a leadline trot race, and a stick pony race.
Bring your family for a relaxing day in the country while enjoying the steeplechase jockeys of tomorrow compete in this friendly competition. Proceeds from the Maryland Junior Hunt Cup benefit the Land Preservation Trust (LPT) and the North American Pt-to-Pt Association (NAPPA).
Tickets may be purchased in person at: Dogwood Tack, Dover Saddlery, The Filling Station, The Mill, and Maryland Saddlery.
Note for entrants:
1) Course will be flagged for walking by Wednesday, April 24th.
2) All riders (except Lead Line Trot) MUST have a Yoke which is not attached to the saddle NOT a hunting breastplate.
3) Reminder: At time of registration ALL entrants for races 6 & 8, must show credentials as required by rule 11a of the Maryland Steeplechase Association's General Conditions
4) Sunday, April 28th at 10:30 am MANDATORY course walk for ALL entrants in a jumping races.
5) In interest of running the races in a timely fashion, the Shawan Downs Race Committee along with the Stewards will make their greatest effort to start all races at the appointed post time; and any pony or horses not in the paddock at the appropriate time will be scratched by the Stewards. ALL Ponies & Horses are expected to arrive at the saddling area adjacent to the paddock at the same time. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Stable departure times will be posted w/ the stable manager, on the steward stand, and on the presentation stand as well as at the gate to the course.